7 habits that wastes your time
Learn how to create more time to do things that matter
In days like these (“Where did the time go?”) your time was probably eaten by many distractions. To stop yourself from getting distracted and pulled different directions, it’s important that you attach value to your time.
By using your time wisely you will have more of it for things that matter to you, like spending time with family and friends or pursuing other projects.
Set yourself up for success by eliminating these 7 time wasters and you may find you have more time than you realize.
- Notifications on your phone. Those who have been around here for some time know that I keep encouraging everyone to turn off all their notifications on the phone. That “beep” sound distracts you in fraction of a second, but unfortunately it takes much longer to get back in to your creative flow after this innocent “I will just quickly check-it might be urgent”.
- Open email all day long. For better productivity, you should set certain times when you allow yourself to check emails and ti should not be more than 2 times per day. Seriously, it is enough times (Im talking from experience). Like this you will not only save time, but will be able to focus better and process more emails in less time.
- Multitasking. You have probably heard about it, but let me remind you again. Trying to do more than one thing at a time actually diminishes your productivity. The human brain simply isn’t designed to multitask. Let me explain. Your brain slows down as it switches between tasks, with takes more time and makes you less efficient. Focusing on one thing at a time will make you more effective – better results with fewer errors.
4. Scrolling through Social Media. BIG waste of your time when you use it for personal use. You get sucked in to random posts only to realise that another 20 minutes have passed without creating results for your future. Mind your own business (literally) and create before you consume. When used effectively, social media can help boost your business and increase sales. But be careful, because constantly checking your news feed or looking to see how many people are following you is eating away at your focus and time.
5. Keeping your work space messy. Disorganized work spaces highly wastes your time because your focus is pulled in different directions, it’s hard to find things you need and, let’s be honest, it’s not a pretty look. Take all the clutter away leaving just the necessary for productive work. When everything has a place, you’ll be able to quickly find what you need and move on to the next thing.
6. Taking too many breaks. This is new to me, as I am that kind of person, that forgets to take a break instead of taking more than I should. However I have discovered that this is a habit for many making results hard to reach. The problem with this habit, you end up lingering and never really get your focus back. Schedule your break to keep yourself in check and focused.
7. Working when exhausted. I’ve been there. It’s not pretty or healthy. All it does is creates more exhaustion, more mistakes and less quality. You may end up facing burnout. Do yourself a favour and make sleep a priority. The time you spend resting will pay off when you’re awake and ready to take on the world.
Once you are clear on what wasted your time, create a to don’t list to get clear on things you know you should not be doing. Here are my suggestions on what to put in there for less distractions and better productivity
Click here to learn my formula on how to make more time in a day while running a thriving business.
Let me know how are you handling your time wasters and feel free to suggest how to make more time freedom.
Here’s to more quality time.
Want to increase your productivity to have time freedom while running a thriving business?
Want to skyrocket your productivity with private coaching to become a top performer?
Want to boost your productivity by restoring mind to balance, harmony and clarity?
What to know how to organize anything?
“LESS” & “SIMPLE” approach to life, business and mind for outrageous success
Search Blog Posts
Inside your daily dose of running a thriving business
Subscribe to work LESS